H-E-B is helping you mix up your family’s weekly meal plans this year! Need a new way to make a whole chicken to feed a crown? Jess Pryles shares her recipe for this juicy and delicious Chipotle Orange Roasted Chicken.
1 H-E-B Natural Young Whole Roasting Chicken
1 stick H-E-B salted butter, softened
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Remove neck and giblets from chicken (discard or freeze for later use with stock or broth). Place the chicken on a rack inside a roasting pan, breast side up. Pat dry with paper towels, then refrigerate for one hour.
2. Zest the orange with a grater, then slice the rest into segments.
3. Combine butter, zest and chipotle in a bowl, mix to combine.
4. Preheat an oven to 425°F.
5. Remove chicken from fridge, and work fingers under the skin to separate from the meat and create a pocket. Stuff with the chipotle butter.
6. Stuff cavity with some of the orange segments and bay leaves, then tie up the legs using butchers twine.
7. Season the chicken with the salt, massaging it into the skin.
8. Roast for 30 minutes, then decrease heat to 375°F. Continue to cook for another 30-60 minutes, depending on chicken size.
9. The chicken is ready when it ready 165°F internal temperature at the thickest part of the thigh.